Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ramiz Raja expressed his disappointment after the England and New Zealand cricket teams pulled out of the Pakistan tour.
Last week New Zealand men’s cricket team pulled out of Pakistan’s limited-overs tour just a few hours before the start of the game in Rawalpindi. The Blackcaps cited that their government officials received a threat regarding security alert.
On Monday, ECB too withdrew from both England’s men and women’s tours in October for the T20I series.
A little bit of caring was needed after New Zealand pull out: Ramiz Raja
Pakistan was one of the teams that travelled to both countries amid the COVID-19 pandemic times. Raja felt like being used by England and New Zealand.
“It’s the feeling of being used and then binned. That’s the feeling I have right now,” Raja told reporters.
“A little bit of hand-holding, a little bit of caring was needed after New Zealand pull out and we didn’t get that from England which is so frustrating.
“We’ve been going out of our way to meet the international demands, being such a responsible member of the cricketing fraternity, and in return we get a response from ECB saying the players were spooked by New Zealand’s withdrawal. What does that mean?” he added.
British High Commission supported England’s tour of Pakistan
Earlier British High Commissioner to Pakistan Christian Turner said it was in support of the tour but it was the sole decision based on the player’s welfare.
“I share the deep sadness of cricket fans that England will not tour Pakistan in October,” Turner said in a video post on Twitter.
“This was a decision made by the ECB, which is independent of the British government, based on concerns for player welfare.
“The British High Commission supported the tour; did not advise against it on security grounds; and our travel advice for Pakistan has not changed,” he further added.
Pakistan won’t have any practice match ahead of the T20 World Cup as both the white-ball series has been scrapped.